I’ve been thinking a lot about this question since talking with Shawn Askinosie five episodes ago: What is your vision of greatness for your life and work? It’s easy to get trapped in your job, doing work you think matters, only to wake up one day absolutely empty. I like to think this only happens when you work for a gigantic corporation that only cares about money, but it can happen when you work for yourself, for God, or country. Why does this happen? When I look at my own journey, there are two answers. The first is I didn’t take time to envision a better future. But the second hits at the core even harder: I did nothing to go where I actually wanted to go.
Visualize: What does your life and work look like today, tomorrow, and in five years?
Dream Big: Jim Collins — big, hairy, audacious goals.
Take Action: Small steps every single day.
- Meaningful Work: A Quest to Do Great Business, Find Your Calling, and Feed Your Soul by Shawn Askinosie and Lawren Askinosie
- “The Vision of Hope & Chocolate” with Shawn Askinosie (GWTW341)
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t by Jim Collins
- Face to Face: The Art of Human Connection by Brian Grazer
- The limits of technique by Seth Godin
- The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life. by Robin Sharma
- Photo by Simon Fitall on Unsplash
- The (Seven Deadly) Curiosity Killers
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab