Podcast: Download (Duration: 18:57 — 27.0MB)
As 2020 comes to a close, I find myself asking a question that would have been useful to ask at the beginning of the year. But since I don’t have a time machine, I guess there’s no better time than now to ask: What steps are you taking to protect your creative heart? I didn’t think this was a question I needed to ask until I heard Ron Howard speak about heartbreak in his MasterClass on film directing. In this year’s final episode of Getting Work To Work, I’m going to explore heartbreak and how I can protect my creative heart in an uncertain future.
Seven ways to protect your creative heart from breaking:
- Embrace your unique spirit
- Fight cynicism
- Never stop dreaming
- Don’t measure your worth with metrics outside your control
- Surround yourself with hope (aka hopeful people)
- Do the daily work of your craft
- Don’t let heartbreak permanently stop you
- The Death of the Artist: How Creators Are Struggling to Survive in the Age of Billionaires and Big Tech by William Deresiewicz
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig
- My 2020 Reading List
- Photo by Jason Blackeye on Unsplash
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab