Podcast: Download (Duration: 12:15 — 17.8MB)
We are just about three weeks into 2021, and my main goal for the first quarter of the year is toast. On the heels of a couple of less-than-positive experiences last year, I wanted to simplify everything in my business. I started with the why and how progressing to the who and the what. Everything was on the table. I got out the metaphorical red pen and started cutting away anything that didn’t fit into the vision of simplicity. But a funny thing happened on the way to simplicity; I realized that wasn’t my problem. It was something else entirely.
10 ways I misunderstood simplicity:
- In an effort to simplify, I cut away the things I was afraid of, projects I failed at yet still wanted to do, and larger projects that take time to develop.
- I looked for simplification in explaining what I do instead of simplifying how people can experience what I do.
- I ignored simplifying my process, which is where the problems actually were.
- I focused on hypothetical situations and what-if scenarios, instead of reality.
- I was acting like a specialist instead of the generalist I am.
- My core values didn’t guide the simplification process, they were added after the fact.
- I stopped looking for common denominators between the different things I do.
- What is the real work I do? Sure, it’s the way that I classify the different components of my work: creative, coaching, teaching, and building community. But at the core of every single action is relationship, which takes time and intention.
- In simplifying the wrong things, I was looking for short-term answers vs. long-term solutions because I was fueling the search for simplification with desperation.
- In misunderstanding simplicity, I was being clever, not clear.
- The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients by Steve Chandler and Rich Litvin
- Eric Maisel
- Photo by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab