As a creative professional, I spend a lot of time alone. Over the years, I have built a narrative for my life that says I don’t need to be a part of a community, but deep inside I wrestle with the desire to belong. This deep-seated desire has led me to make some questionable decisions over the years. In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I share my journey of belonging and five ways you can have a greater sense of community.
Five Ways You Can Have a Greater Sense of Belonging
- Join trade organizations and groups, not just for networking and support, but also for socializing with others.
- Volunteer. Be a part of something greater than yourself.
- Avoid drastic changes in your life and work.
- Don’t wait for others to initiate you into their community. Find active ways to join by taking initiative.
- Get comfortable with yourself and your immediate family.