What would you discover about yourself if you reexamined a significant portion of your career? Today’s guest on Getting Work To Work recently collected and edited 25 years of essays into a collection called Who Hears Here?: On Black Music, Pasts and Present. Guthrie P. Ramsey, Jr. has many talents and interests: a musiqologist, professor, writer, pianist, composer, producer, podcaster, and filmmaker. In our conversation, he shares lessons learned from examining his past and how he continually weaves between interests and ideas. Guthrie talks a lot about collaboration and being open to others, the cycle of dream-plan-execute in creating new things, and how he is in constant dialogue between what he’s collected and what he’s experiencing now.
- Guthrie Ramsey
- Who Hears Here?: On Black Music, Pasts and Present by Guthrie P. Ramsey, Jr.
- Dr. Guy’s Musiqology on Spotify
- Brandee Younger
- Alice Coltrane on Spotify
- Dr. Kellie Jones
- Alicia Olatuja
- Black Country Music: Listening for Revolutions by Francesca T. Royster
- Photo by Ebuen Clemente Jr on Unsplash