For as long as I can remember, I have fought with perfectionism. I have wanted my work to be perfect and over time, my productivity slowed down. I struggled getting ideas off the ground because I would evaluate the merit of the ideas before they were finished. In this episode, I share a few ways perfectionism impacts creative professionals and six ways you can fight perfectionism today.
Six Ways You Can Fight Perfectionism
- Create the worst creative product ever. This could be a photograph, a film, a design, or a blog post.
- Experiment and share the results. Have an attitude of a beginner, even if you’re a master of your craft.
- Don’t perpetuate the myth of perfectionism by never talking about your story or your struggle.
- Tell yourself it’s okay to not be perfect.
- Stop comparing your work to what you see online.
- Find accountability partners.