Podcast: Download (Duration: 14:24 — 20.6MB)
It was a great conversation; full of insight and honesty leading to the inevitable question, “How do I succeed?” My response was swift and immediate, “You just lack discipline.” It’s funny when you say something to someone else, thinking that it’s for them, but really it’s meant for you. I’m not saying I lack discipline, but I think I misunderstand what it truly means to be disciplined in my life and work. In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I’m going to dive into the importance of everyday discipline, what this looks like in theory and practice, and how it paves the way forward.
Six things that everyday discipline requires of you:
- An understanding of where you are and who you are today.
- A dream for tomorrow.
- A map of the gap and terrain between today and tomorrow.
- Listening and understanding.
- Empathy for yourself and others.
- Small and consistent steps.
Quotes mentioned in the episode:
From The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates:
“Wisdom isn’t about accumulating more facts; it’s about understanding big truths in a deeper way” (p. 27).
- How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy by Jenny Odell
- The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates
- Annie Leibovitz
- Photo by Finding Dan | Dan Grinwis on Unsplash
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab