I read a lot of books that emphasize the importance of having core values or guiding principles for your business. Whenever I read about this topic, I always say to myself, “Well, that would be nice to have, but that’s just not how my business works.” The other day I was talking to a friend about getting a project released and I said, “Done is better than none.” In that moment, a core value began to take shape in my mind. Could it be that this has been a guiding principle I’ve been ignoring? Could this be why I get frustrated when there is an overall lack of progress or deadlines missed?
Five underlying beliefs as to WHY this is important:
- Excellence, not perfection, fuels growth.
- Improving processes requires an end to the process.
- Without limitations, our creativity suffers.
- Ship or quit: When projects sit for too long, we get creatively constipated.
- The audience can handle our imperfections and mistakes.