Podcast: Download (Duration: 14:28 — 20.8MB)
Many people I know are in the midst of change, myself included. For some, they have no choice. Work is closed, projects are done. For others, they woke up realizing they wanted more for their life and work. They see big problems in the world and want to use their skills and abilities as a force for good. It’s usually in this moment when fear gets in the way. We get bombarded by the questions and concerns of others. The fear in our mind escalates to the point of inaction. We might even find the lure of a new project in our inbox. It’s not exactly the direction we want to head in, but we need the money. In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I’m going to explore courageous change and how you can start moving toward what really matters to you.
Quotes mentioned in this episode:
From The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Douglas Abrams: “‘Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to act despite it.’ The English word courage comes from the French word coeur, or heart; courage is indeed the triumph of our heart’s love and commitment over our mind’s reasonable murmurings to keep us safe.”
Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America by Michael Eric Dyson: “The status quo always favors neutrality which, in truth, is never neutral at all, but supports those who stand against change.”
Eight ways to embrace courageous change:
- Solidify your vision.
- Find one thing you can do each day to bring your vision to life.
- Ask for help.
- Serve others.
- Make more friends.
- Accept there is nothing instant about change.
- “Live an interesting life” – Ryan Holiday.
- Figure out what’s after survival.
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Douglas Abrams
- Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America by Michael Eric Dyson
- James Victore – The Creative Warrior
- Chris Do – The Futur
- Jose Caballer
- Ryan Holiday’s Email Newsletter
- Diane Gibbs – Recharging You
- Tom Morin
- “Your Best Work” with Tom Morin (GWTW419)
- Photo by Martin Sanchez on Unsplash
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab