If there is one word that seems to trigger me daily, it’s relevance. Not only must I be relevant as a creator, but my work must also be. I didn’t really know why until I wrote this episode. But if you want a quick hint, I think it’s because, as a technologically-driven culture, we treat relevance like a constant variable that never changes when, in fact, it never stops changing. This confusion causes us to reset and reinvent ourselves every single day, sometimes multiple times a day. Instead of stopping and reevaluating our behavior, we say, “That’s just the way things are if you want to stay top of mind.” No wonder we get exhausted. If only we could do something differently.
Five ways to bring resonance to who you are as a creator and the work you do:
- Learn to listen within yourself and the environment around you.
- Develop your creative process based upon what matters to you and the life you want to live.
- Remember that relevance is temporary and mastery is long-lasting.
- You are going to be uncomfortable more than you want to be as you listen to new sounds and feel a broader range of emotions.
- You don’t need social media, it needs you.