As I approach the start of a class that was the catalyst for this podcast, I’ve been thinking a lot about Simon Sinek’s book, Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action. In the book, he discusses the concept of “the golden circle”—why, how, and what: “A WHY is just a belief. That’s all it is. HOWs are the actions you take to realize that belief. And WHATs are the results of those actions” (p. 67). In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I talk about my journey of discovering my why, question whether there is value in this journey, and share three ways you can act upon the importance of why.
3 Ways You Can Act Upon The Importance of Why:
- Your why must always lead to actions that produce results.
- Don’t worry what others think of your why. If it drives you, that’s what is important.
- Don’t let the absence of knowing your why prevent you from getting to work. You can’t learn about your beliefs, actions, and results without working. You must act.
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action by Simon Sinek
- The Dance of the Possible by Scott Berkun
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab