A day doesn’t go by where I’m not considering the future of work. How will ideation and creation work? Will it be writing prompts, letting a computer spit out a rough draft, and then editing the results? What about distribution and economics? How will people find our work, and what will they be willing to pay for it? These are all great questions to think about and consider in the fast-paced world of the 21st century. But an unexamined question entered my mind: What role does history play in our work moving forward? Will we allow it to shape our experience or shun it to our detriment?
Five ways to tap into history as you blaze a trail into the future:
- Find ways to bring moments of pure passion and curiosity back to your workflow.
- Search for the untapped moments in your industry’s history to learn how to do more with less.
- Mine the cultural past for new ideas.
- Study the evolution of your favorite artists.
- Document your historical journey for the future.