Last week, I kicked off a miniseries on clients with an episode about Finding & Choosing Clients. In this episode of Getting Work To Work, I focus on how to talk to your clients. It takes a lot of time to build trust with your clients and you can shatter that trust if you don’t speak to your clients appropriately. In this episode, I share seven things to keep in mind when talking to your clients including an incredibly important lesson for all creative professionals: do not hide from your clients.
7 Things to Keep in Mind When Talking to Your Clients:
- Clients are people; take a moment to be human.
- Don’t be a jerk…even if that’s your brand.
- Don’t be a pushover, but don’t be a know-it-all. It is important to have an opinion and viewpoint because that is what the client should be paying you for: you.
- Seek to understand by asking questions and listening to the answers.
- When things go wrong, don’t play the blame game.
- Clients and creatives speak different languages. Be an interpreter of your jargon.
- Don’t hide from your client.