One of the hardest things for me to grapple with is when my work doesn’t work. I’m naturally filled with questions: Am I hustling hard enough? Am I pushing hard enough? What am I doing wrong? In the frenetic energy and chaos of these moments, I try everything and anything possible. I’m searching for the answers to these questions. I’m filling my time with activities that tell me what to do, who to be, and how to provide value. But something happened today when I decided to quiet down and sit in the silence: I could actually hear what I needed.
How to Sit in Silence:
- Grab a notebook and write what you are thinking or feeling.
- Close your eyes and breathe.
- Sit and listen to the sounds in your area.
- Stare off into the distance as the silence of the room and let your focus drift in and out.
- Drive in silence.
- Have a notebook at hand to capture ideas that may pop up.