I can be an extremely serious person in everything I do and all I am. But if I’m to be honest, which I should be, I take myself way too seriously. I often feel immense tension and stress because of that seriousness. I realize that the source of that tension is that at the core of who I am is someone who loves fun, play, silliness, and laughter. And yet, somewhere along the way, I told myself the story that business (and by extension, life) isn’t about those things. Business (and life) is serious. I thought I’d take a moment today and talk about how to have more fun in your life, your creative projects, your work, your business, your relationships, really wherever you need to inject some good old fashioned fun into what you’re doing.
Of course, I’m preaching to myself in this one and taking notes because if I don’t learn from my show, I might have some problems. So let’s dive in and have some fun!
Where do we start?
- Which areas in your life are you having fun in and what does that fun feel like?
- Which areas in your life are you not having fun in and what does that lack of fun feel like?
- Next, imagine what fun will look and feel like in the not fun areas.
- Finally, don’t overthink what you need to do. Any amount of fun will do, just try it out and see how you can start moving toward the fun feelings.
10 ways to trigger fun wherever and whenever you need it!
- The Smile Challenge!
- Take a break.
- Take a risk, try something new.
- Be unexpected.
- Laugh and whoo more often.
- Develop an improv mindset.
- Find a way to inject fun into any stage of your creative process.
- Flashback to a time when fun came naturally to you.
- Do something silly.
- Dabble in opposites.