Podcast: Download (Duration: 9:37 — 13.2MB)
I’m a huge fan of notebooks and sketchbooks, both expensive and cheap. I love the feeling of writing my thoughts down on paper. At any given point in time, I have at least 4-5 notebooks I write in. These are my journals. The map of my life. A friend recently asked me, “What do you put in your journal?” In this episode, I share what I put into my journals, the fear of journals, and five ways you can begin filling your journal.
Five Ways You Can Begin Filling Your Journal
- Morning Pages, a concept by Julia Cameron in The Artist’s Way.
- Create a clip file of images, text, and other things that inspire you.
- Write down meaningful quotes from books you’re reading.
- Working on a project? Make a look book. It’s a lot like the clip file, but specific to your project.
- Sketch, doodle, draw. Break the lines. Don’t use lines. It’s play time.
- Field Notes
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- 30 Days of Genius with Chase Jarvis
- Noah Fine Art
- Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones
- The Look Book
- Cabinet of Curiosities by Guillermo Del Toro
- The Steal Like An Artist Journal by Austin Kleon
- Wreck This Book by Keri Smith
- Support Getting Work To Work on ChrisMartinStudios.shop!
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter: The Curiosity Lab